Monday, February 4, 2013

Devdutt Pattanaik: East vs. West -- the myths that mystify

I like how in the begining of the video, Pattanaik hooks the viewer in with an Indian myth, that then helps to flow into his definition of myth based on the concept of "THE" world vs "MY" world. "THE" world is objective, logical, universal, fact, and science. It answers the question "How?". "MY" world is subjective, emotional, personal, belief, and myth. It answers the question "Why?". His visual chart helped me to understand how myth is a fusion of stories, symbols, and rituals that all come together to shape a culture. I found his whole point about life repeating itself again and again very interesting. He makes a good point of how everyone views mythology differently.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the talk, Allie. I think that his explanation of mythology is about as clear as any I've heard before. He's quite entertaining.

    ReplyDelete